It was a stormy day, with multiple weather types on display. This matched the topsy-turvey nature of the game. After skipper Frost won the toss he chose to insert the big hitting Hayes side, on a soft green pitch.

The Hayes side batted with caution interspersed by massive hits. This was reflected in the odd bowling figures of Frost: 6-1-31-2. Jeff Sheldon bowled accurately, on the whole, without much luck, picking up one wicket in an initial 9 over spell, thanks to a stunning leg side stumping by Leonard. Calem Taylor replaced Frost in the bowling attack and took a wicket in his first over, and bowled accurately. The Hayes batting line up did attempt to push some singles, but on the whole this gave them little success, so they stuck mighty blows or defensive prods. The top order had amassed 91 runs for 4 wickets in the first 21 overs. However, the cricket was all played at a bit of a rush as bad weather was imminent. Kidmore End tried to rush their overs to get as much cricket in as possible before the dark storm clouds arrived. After a number of flashing lightening forks and then rumbling thunder, the umpires removed the teams from the field in the name of good sense and safety at around 2pm. What followed was a downpour of biblical proportions. This lasted for around an hour. Tea was taken early and overs were removed from the game. Both teams waited as the stormed cleared and rays of sunshine shone down and started to dry the pitch. Play resumed at 4.35pm and Hayes had 18 more overs to bat. This meant they were going to bat in an aggressive manner. Kidmore started with two seamers, Sheldon and Taylor, but it quickly became clear that pace on the ball was aiding the batsmen, so Frost switched to the guile of Faroqi and the turn of Ashby. This switch was rewarded almost immediately. Faroqi engineered a wicket thanks to a good catch in the deep by Fountain. Richard Frost took a great catch at short extra cover off of Ashby and then a simpler one shortly afterwards. Leonard, who had stopped keeping after a finger injury, caught another from a top edge when Faroqi was bowling, and suddenly a collapse was occurring. Knowing they had less overs to bat than normal Kidmore sought to bowl the opposition out in hope of gaining a little more time, and the spin twins duly obliged. Ashby, (7-0-36-36) had a wicket due to a good stumping by Tom Sheldon, and Faroqi’s (6-1-14-3) subtle change of pace bowled the last man. Hayes were all out for 167, giving Kidmore End 37 overs to chase a much lower score than they were expecting.

The Sheldon brothers opened the batting, and did a good job of seeing off a very threatening spell from Wayland and Madial, as both bowlers swung the ball and seamed the ball markedly. They put on 39 for the first wicket, the best opening stand for some weeks, when Sheldon J was caught for 10. Faroqi was given a pinch-hitting role at the top of the order but this did not work out. 41-2 led to Ashby and Sheldon T, rebuilding the innings in style. Both players made conditions look a lot easier than anyone else had all day. Both players drove and cut the ball with a commanding calming confidence that made the rest of the team relax. The score raced to 84. However, when Sheldon T was caught for 42, and a little later Ashby was out for 35 the score was 116 for 5. The loss of these players caused some panic and no doubt this contributed to the middle order collapse. Taylor, Fountain and Bodeker were all dismissed cheaply and Hayes had found a bowler who could exploit the murky conditions well in Prabhjot Singh. He had taken 3 wickets and forced the game back into his side’s favour. The score was now 120-7. Frost joined Leonard, (who was 19*) at the wicket and the pair had to hang on for dear life. The bowling was accurate and testing, Frost was lucky to survive, but Leonard batted in a calm and confident manner, seizing on anything short, pulling the ball into the adjacent field. This was important a is damped the ball and made it move less noticeably. Slowly Frost was able to assist Leonard by hitting a few boundaries of his own, and with the pair running frantically between the wickets the target got closer and closer. Just 4 runs away from victory Leonard’s calm vigil was ended and the nerves hit through the batting side, whilst adrenaline pumped through the bowlers. Richard Frost managed to dig out some vicious Yorkers on his arrival at the crease from the excellent Singh, who ended the game with 5 wickets from 9.1 overs for just 35 runs. However, Singh’s efforts were in vain and the Frost duo eked out the reaming 4 runs during a torturously uncomfortable 4 over partnership. Kidmore End won by 2 wickets bagging themselves 25 points.